The Board of Directors of The Maine State Carousel is proud to introduce our newest member, Lee Graf. Lee manages an estate in Mid-Maine that has a custom made carousel…
A group of woodcarvers and artisans in the Greater Portland, ME area have begun a project to create a full-size operating carousel. The carousel will be entirely based on the history, the traditions, and the environment of Maine. This museum you can ride on will be built by volunteer artisans throughout Maine and will be genuinely unique because:
- All the hand-carved riding animals will be the wild and farm animals found in our state.
- Painted and carved portraits of historically prominent Mainers will decorate the outside carousel canopy.
- Painted scenes from significant events in Maine history will cover the inside canopy.
- Paintings of well-known regional landmarks will surround the center mast.
- Names of towns, villages, and cities will be painted and carved on the decorative moldings.
- Quilt banners will depict the highlights of Maine’s varied regions.